Meet the Pastor
Reverend Dr. Kurt Shawn Clark, Sr., DMin
The Reverend Doctor Kurt Shawn Clark, Sr. has dedicated his life and gifts to the spiritual and social emancipation of all of God’s people. A pastor and prophet to this generation, he centers his ministry with the call of Isaiah 50:4 which states, “The Lord God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary.”
- Kurt S. Clark, Sr. was born October 5, 1971, in Natchitoches, Louisiana to Rose Clark Young and Otis Johnson, III.
- Under the spiritual guidance of his grandparents, the late Roy and Doretha Clark, Reverend Clark gained spiritual maturation and development as an active participating member of the Friendship Baptist Church.
- Due to his academic fervor, Reverend Clark obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature from Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, Louisiana.
- He furthered his education as he earned a Master of Divinity degree from the Samuel DeWitt Proctor School of Theology at Virginia Union University in Richmond, Virginia.
- Reverend Clark also earned a Doctor of Ministry degree from Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School in Rochester, New York in Transformative Leadership with a concentration in Prophetic Preaching and author of Invisible Institution And Empire: A Culture Of Resistance In America.
- Reverend Clark is committed to serving his community both nationally and locally as he participates in several ministry and civic organizations that seek to increase the quality of life for their respective communities.
- As a result, he has joined the efforts and holds membership in the following organizations: National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc., Alabama Baptist State Convention, Lott Carey Baptist Foreign Mission Convention, NAACP and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Reverend Clark embraced his call to gospel ministry at the age of 21.
- During his tenure at Friendship Baptist Church, Reverend Clark served as Youth Pastor from March 1993-July 1996, and later accepted the invitation to serve as their Senior Pastor from July 1996–August 1998.
- Reverend Clark followed the voice of God to the Second Evening Star Baptist Church in Boyce, Louisiana where he lovingly served as Senior Pastor from August 1998-July 2003, before relocating to pursue his seminary studies.
- Reverend Clark served as Senior Pastor of the Mount Poole Baptist Church in Ford, Virginia from February 2005-August 2008, before accepting the call to Sardis Missionary Baptist Church where he currently serves as Pastor.
- August, 2012 – Present, Dr. Clark serves as Professor of Religious Studies at Selma University; Selma, AL.
- Reverend Clark is married to Evenda Degerail Barnes Clark. They are the proud parents of Kurt Jr., Kaleb, Nathan and Lindsey.